Roasted Chickpeas: A Protein-Packed Snack/Appetizer/Side

by Rebekah โ€” cooked up on October 7, 2011

These roasted chickpeas are a multipurpose dish I’ve been wanting to try for a while now – basically since Mark Bittman featured them in The Minimalist and also in “How to Cook Everything Vegetarian,” the most essential cookbook in my kitchen. I served them alongside yesterday’s eggplant flatbread. You eat these with your fingers, basically like popcorn. You can season them similarly, too.

It’s kind of hard to tell from the photo, but these are regular canned chickpeas which are cooked in two phases. A quick sautee gives them a crunchy crust, and then 20 minutes or so in the oven cooks them all the way through.

Here’s what you need for a handy snack for one or two:

• One can of chickpeas
  • Salt, pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • Cayenne pepper or chili powder

So, honestly there’s not a lot more to the directions. With just a tablespoon or so of oil, cook your chickpeas for a few minutes in a skillet big enough to hold them all in one layer. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Once the outsides have browned a teeny bit, transfer them to a baking sheet and bake for at least 20 minutes, until that small sear you just placed on the outsides becomes a crunchy shell.ย  This will take about 20 minutes, possibly a little bit more. Every five minutes or so, shake the baking sheet a little bit just to make sure nothing is sticking.

When the chickpeas come out of the oven, toss with salt, pepper, and a heavy dose of cayenne pepper or chili powder. Consume as finger food. And grab a glass of water ๐Ÿ™‚

Yum.

7 Comments

1. These look really yummy and easy, I see a new snack in my future.

Comment by Kelly Keys — October 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm

2. These were easy and tasty.

Comment by Dee — October 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

3. I’m glad you like them! It’s been fun to try different flavors. The second time we made them, we cooked them in bacon grease and seasoned them with truffle salt. Yum!

Comment by bekky — October 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

4. I’m gonna try these this weekend but was wondering how to store them if they’re not all eaten, fridge or pantry?

Comment by Maria — November 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

5. I would say fridge, just to be safe. Thanks for reading!

Comment by bekky — November 19, 2011 at 5:50 pm

6. I am going to try this this weekend and I am very excited!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I actually just bought the dry spicy ranch packet so I am going to see how that works. These look just like corn nuts that I always bought coming home from college so I am excited to try them out!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing!!

Comment by Jill — January 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

7. Ooh, that sounds delicious! Enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment by bekky — January 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Other misc recipes to try:

Chili Cheese Nachos with Avocado Jalapeรฑo Crema

Nachos can be for grown ups, too :)

Homemade Vanilla Extract

This is a post that has been in the works for literally months! I started making homemade vanilla in November, thinking I would use it as holiday gifts. Instead, I ended up using at our PDX Food Swap last weekend! It was quite the hot commodity. I will definitely be doing more batches for upcoming […]

Homemade Brown Sugar Pop Tarts

Everyone has a few guilty pleasures when it comes to food. Cheese, wine, heavy carbs and such. I don’t really feel guilty about eating a rich dessert if I (or someone I know) worked hard making it. But what I do feel guilty about is eating foods that are engineered to have enormous shelf lives […]