Home-Baked Apple Chips

by Rebekahcooked up on November 8, 2011

You know it is a good Saturday morning when you wake up to the smell of baking apples. Coincidentally, that happened to me last Saturday, because Dave was up and about and making these delicious things:

These apple chips are beautifully simple, tangy and crisp.

And here’s what you need to make them at home:

– Apples
– Freshly grated nutmeg
– powdered sugar

Start by slicing the apples veeerrry thinly.

Probably about 1/8 of an inch. Next bust out your nutmeg:

There is no replacement for freshly grated nutmeg. It’s pricier, to be sure, but so worth it. Toss the apple slices in a few tablespoons of powdered sugar and nutmeg, then place on a nonstick surface like a silpat mat or parchment paper at 200 degrees until they are dry and crisp. This will take 60-90 minutes and will vary by apple.

Then allow to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before consuming.

More like this:

6 Comments

1. Dave comes up with the best stuff! These are fantastic. I love throwing these in a salad with a light vinaigrette.

Comment by MaryK — November 8, 2011 at 7:09 am

2. That is a brilliant idea! I’m going to have to try that.

Comment by bekky — November 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

3. yum! nice photos, too!

Comment by Kimberly — November 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

4. Thanks! Dave took the photos for this one 🙂

Comment by bekky — November 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

5. These look delicious and so does the apple, onion and cheddar tart! I’m really glad I found your blog, I live in PDX as well and even if I don’t have much time to post now, also run a blog! You’ve gained a new follower!

Comment by Adriana — November 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm

6. Thanks Adriana! I hope you enjoy the recipes. Thank you for reading 🙂

Comment by bekky — November 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Other uncategorized recipes to try:

Five Tips for Feasting Like A Pro

Feast like a pro, with these tips from a 5-year veteran!

Five Reasons Portland Locals Should Jump on Those Last Couple of Feast Portland Tickets!

I'm serious - if you're on the fence, I'm about to shove you off!

Blueberries and Cream Sparklers featuring IZZE Sparkling Juice

The perfect boozy (or not) treat for your July 4 celebrations!