Key Lime Tart

by Rebekah โ€” cooked up on April 26, 2012

This recipe came about because I wanted dessert, but not a huge dessert. So I cut my favorite dessert in half, horizontally:

And this happened.

I love key lime pie so much – for some reason, lime is one of my very favorite flavors (also on the list are chocolate, hops and basil. Not together). Anyway, you can only buy key lime juice in one size of bottle – enough to make 4+ pies – and expires in November. I consider that a personal challenge.

Here’s the recipe for this delicious and deliciously easy dessert:

Crust:

• 1 package (not one box!) of graham crackers
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 4-6 Tbsp. melted butter (will depend on how dry it is, etc)

Filling (this is 1/2 the recipe on the back of Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice):

• 1.5 egg yolks (yes, I’m sorry! Make an omelette!)
  • 7 oz. (1/2 of those little cans) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup Key Lime juice

Start with the crust – you don’t need to prebake it. Use the food processor to break the graham crackers up into crumbs and add the sugar in just to get a good mix.

In a separate bowl, put the mixture in with 4 Tbsp. of the butter. Use your fingers to mix and make sure every crumb is moistened. If there’s not enough, add a little bit more butter. In this case, an over-wet crust isn’t going to hurt you because there’s no actual leavening going on. Press the crumbs into a tart pan or pie tin.

Then, use a mixer to blend the filling ingredients together into a smooth, creamy yellow batter. Spread the filling into the tart pan and bake at 350 for about ten minutes – just until the top looks set. Garnish with limes, of course. ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Comments

1. This key lime tart/pie is great..I also crave key lime, almost as as piece of DARK chocolate

Comment by Ina Stankiewicz — August 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

2. I have e-mail only – how do I print this. At my age too complicated stuff is not my thing. his recipe is perfect.

Comment by Ina Stankiewicz — August 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

3. Thanks! But what size tart pan are you using? Recipe sounds delicious and easy too. Another key lime lover:)

Comment by Diana Cullen — September 8, 2013 at 5:58 am

4. Hey Diana, I would say it’s about ten inches across. Thanks for reading! ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment by bekky — September 8, 2013 at 2:37 pm

5. I love Key Lime Pie, but couldn’t you just use a premade Graham cracker crust?

Comment by Anita — September 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm

6. Hey Anita, you absolutely could! Thanks for reading ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment by bekky — September 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

7. hey sorry to bother you, but i was wondering is this like a 4 person serving or is smaller? thanks

Comment by lily — November 2, 2015 at 5:25 pm

8. It’s a 10-inch tart pan. I would say it’s about 8 servings!

Comment by bekky — November 3, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Other six ingredients or less recipes to try:

Chorizo Jalapeรฑo Poppers

An ode to one of my favorite cuisines - Tex Mex - with a little upgrade in the form of chorizo and more cheese.

Simplest Tomato & Burrata Salad

Tomatoes and burrata.... what more do we need in life? Maybe some rose.

How to Make a Green Salad You Actually Love

The perfect green salad recipe that is a great base for just about anything.