Vanilla Ice Cream

by Rebekahcooked up on June 29, 2012

Not that there’s a season where ice cream is not appropriate, but in the summer, ice cream is especially warranted, don’t you think?

However, we almost never make our own ice cream in the winter. But it’s not winter anymore, or even spring, thank God – because in Portland spring is also known as the maddening season in which a sunny day taunts us from time to time, but mostly it still rains. Well, despite the last bits of rain, we busted out the ice cream maker anyway last week.

So here’s what you need:

• 1 cup whole milk
  • A pinch of salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

To begin, heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan.

In a bowl, stir together the egg yolks and cream. Gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour to temper it (that is, you want to raise the temperature of the eggs slowly by adding the heated milk a few tablespoons at a time).

When you’ve tempered several spoonfuls into the egg mixture and they are quite warm, slowly add back into the pan while on low heat, still stirring the whole time with a heat-proof spatula. Make sure you get the bottom and sides of the pan completely clean while stirring. Keep heating on low until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spatula (and not just run straight off)

Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla and chill completely – this may take hours. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to your device’s directions. We use – and love – the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment to our stand mixer. A non-sponsored endorsement: the KitchenAid mixer is basically the #3 appliance in our kitchen, and the two in front of it are the stove and fridge. It’s that good. Get one!

More like this: | |

6 Comments

1. I would love a KitchenAid mixer. However, I’m refusing to get any new kitchen appliances until I can register for them, dang it. 😉

Comment by Callie — June 29, 2012 at 7:05 am

2. Yeah, fair enough! 🙂

Comment by bekky — June 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

3. I love my kitchen aid ice cream attachment!!

Comment by Meghan Smith — July 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

4. ME TOO. It’s the best thing ever. It just lives in the freezer so we can use it at any time.

Comment by bekky — July 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

5. Wow!! Just the images of vanilla ice cream have made me go crazy! Though I have made ice cream in many ways but haven’t ever tried it this way. Anyway thanks for the yummy recipe.

Comment by Ruth Williams — July 10, 2012 at 12:15 am

6. Thank you, Ruth! 🙂

Comment by bekky — July 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Other vegetarian recipes to try:

Leftover Chili Taco Bowls

This week's lentil chili recipe makes a fantastic base for a healthy weeknight taco bowl!

Savory Citrus Salad

Man, what a week. So much has happened. I want to encourage us all to keep showing up. And I need to focus on my art. That’s one of the things that keeps me sane, so here I am, making some more recipes and photos. Nourishing ourselves is important, even when it doesn’t feel really […]

Grapefruit Pistachio Salad

Earlier this month we visited Dave’s family in Florida. One of my favorite things about traveling there is the fresh citrus. We always go shopping and pick up bags and bags of oranges, grapefruit and tangerines – and that’s before we head over to the juice station to get fresh, unpasteurized grapefruit and orange juice. […]