— cooked up on
September 11, 2016
This weekend, the warm, sunny weather seems to be back. So it feels a little less like fall than just a few days ago when the cool rains where here. But I was still ready for our first pumpkin of the season.
The end of the summer has me thinking a lot of about the fruits and vegetables we’ve frozen, and the ones from last year that we’ve yet to use. We’ve got big freezer bags full of berries, peaches and more (I even already broke into the strawberries to flavor my latest batch of kombucha… it was perfection).
Today, I bought a bunch of tomatoes and I think I’ll use them to make soup. It’s early yet, but before we know it we’ll be picking apples and pears, and roasting up winter squash for dinner. I guess the best part about the seasons is that they change… somehow, we miss them when they’re gone even though the season we’re in is pretty great as well.
Last October, I was the beneficiary of several sugar pie pumpkins from a friend. We enjoyed using a few of them right away, but most of them went in the freezer portioned into little one-pound ziplock bags. They’ve been on my mind for a few weeks now, and since the weather had finally cooled a bit, I was ready to bust ’em out.
These pancakes were what we made first – they’re no more difficult than regular pancakes, and I love to slather them in butter and add a little sprinkle of salt.
Can we just hang out in this in-between-summer-and-fall period forever? I wouldn’t mind.
Blueberry, Bacon, Avocado and Roast Chicken Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1-2 tbsp. butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 4 oz. chévre
- 1 large avocado, sliced thinly
- Juice of 1 lime (or 1/4 cup bottled)
- 8-10 cups of your favorite salad greens
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and then brush with melted butter. Salt and pepper well and then sprinkle with paprika, coating both sides.
- Place in a baking dish and roast for about 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, blend the mayo, buttermilk and blueberries in the blender until thoroughly mixed.
- Finally, assemble the salad: add the salad greens to a large serving bowl and arrange on top: avocado slices, bacon, blueberries and chicken (cut into slices).
- Drizzle chévre and yogurt dressing over the top and