— cooked up on
September 18, 2016
When I posted a quick photo of this on my Instagram, I think the caption was something like “You can take the girl out of the Midwest, but…” haha. Chicken pot pie is one of my very favorite dishes – my mom made it all the time growing up and it definitely my definition of comfort food.
It’s something I come back to when I’ve had some busy times, stressful times, or just want to recenter a little.
I’ve seen so many pot pies that have pie crusts, but my mom always makes it with a biscuit crust, and that’s how I prefer it.
We just used our favorite biscuit recipe and plopped it right on top of the chicken and veggies.
My favorite part of the whole thing is the gravy… I can never turn down a good cream sauce.
Peach and Blackberry Scones
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peaches, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- Coarse demarara sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Cut the butter in to the mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Whisk together the yogurt and eggs, and then fold them into the butter crumb mixture.
- Finally, fold in the peaches and blackberries. Lightly knead the dough into a disc shape, using additional flour as necessary. Slice into wedges and move to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with demarara sugar.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.