— cooked up on
May 25, 2017
Oh my goodness, summer has finally come to Oregon! It feels so good, when the weather is this nice. I think my perfect temperature is right around 85 degrees. (Anyone channeling Miss Congeniality right now? No? Nevermind.) Earlier this week it got to 93! Wowzer! I was pretty happy, I have to say. I’m getting a little color on my shoulders and am certainly happy with the amount of time I get to spend on my bike every day.
It’s the time of year when we actually lose track of what time it is, because the sun doesn’t set until 9 or later. Yesterday, Sunday, we went to a matinee (Guardians 2! Loved.), then by the time we ate dinner it was 8:45 and I think neither of us had any idea it was that late. It definitely makes up for the long, crappy winters, I’ll tell you that. (The whole waking up with the sun at 5 a.m., though, that I could manage without!) We are very far north, and we have suuuuper long days in the summer.
And did I mention that many old homes here in Oregon don’t have air conditioning? When you only need it 3 months of the year, not a lot of people invest in it. We have a window unit in our bedroom, but on days like today, nobody wants to be bending over a hot stove for a long time. So we eat a lot of salads for dinner!
This particular one is a combination of some of my favorite things: buttermilk ranch dressing, roast chicken, and homemade croutons doused in bacon grease. Oh, and avocado… honestly, this barely qualifies as a salad, there’s so many treats in it. And you know what… when the heirloom tomatoes are in, it will be even better!
Chicken BLT salad with buttermilk Greek yogurt ranch
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
For the salad
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/3 lb bacon
- 3 slices hearty, rustic bread sliced into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Assemble the dressing
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, buttermilk, salt, chives, dill, garlic and onion powder. Add pepper to taste.
Make the salad
- Liberally salt and pepper the chicken breast. In a small skillet over medium heat, sear the chicken breast in a small bit of oil, 1 tsp. Sear two minutes per side.
- Remove from the heat, wrap in foil, and set into a 375 degree oven until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 170 degrees.
- In the skillet, slice the bacon into small pieces (1/2" or smaller) render the bacon over medium-low heat until the fat renders out and the bacon crisps up. Remove the bacon, reserving the fat.
- Toss the bread cubes into the reserved oil to coat, and cook over medium heat until crispy.
- Assemble the salad: start with the lettuce, and add the tomatoes, bacon, and croutons. Top with the sliced chicken breast and avocado. Add dressing to taste.