— cooked up on
July 3, 2017
Boy, with July 4 coming on a Tuesday, the festivities just seem to stretch… and I have no problem with that! We’ve spent a lovely weekend seeing friends, drinking great drinks, eating great food, sitting under the string lights in our backyard until late at night and having a wonderful time… and it isn’t even the fourth yet!
We’ll all head back to work tomorrow… but then on Tuesday, holiday time is back on! Of course we’ll have to be pretty well behaved, since we’re all heading to work on Wednesday as well. Buuuuut I think we can handle it 🙂
To celebrate the long weekend, I’ve cooked up a little something a little fun for Independence Day (or any day!): Red, White and Blue Chicken Tacos.
Why tacos, you may ask? I am just not a big burger and brats person. Zzzzzzz. I’ve never been about big meaty entrees, my entire life. I do eat meat, but only when its surrounded by tons of fresh, flavorful veggies. And plus, for backyard festivities, I love to see some innovation in the menu! That’s why I made these tacos – they’re a more interesting flavor profile and have a better ratio of veggies to meat. Plus, any day can be made better by adding tacos, that’s just a known fact.
Yes, yes, whatever. My blueberry coleslaw is not exactly blue – it’s purple. Also there’s some green involved — but I would never tell you to make a taco without jalapenos or cilantro. But I promise you, they taste *delicious*. I would eat them again basically right now!
Red, White and Blue Chicken Tacos with Blueberry Coleslaw
- For the coleslaw:
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Juice and zest of one lime
- For the salsa:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- For the tacos:
- 1/2 jalapeño, sliced
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Additional cilantro for topping
- In a mixing bowl, add fresh blueberries and lightly crush with a spoon.
- Add the cabbage, jalapeño, cilantro, mayonnaise and milk and toss to combine. This step can be done ahead of time - cover and store in the fridge!
- Prepare the salsa by roughly chopping the cherry tomatoes and tossing with cilantro, lime and salt.
- Warm tortillas and top with slaw, shredded chicken and then tomato salsa. Top with more jalapeños and cilantro.