You guys. This past week I was out in my garage and yard working on some projects, when I looked at my watch and realized that it was SEVEN THIRTY in the evening and it was still light out! Spring is here for real, and I couldn’t be more excited about it.
Every time the seasons finally change from Portland’s glum, rainy winters to spring, when we still have rain, but it’s mixed in with sun, I can’t help but get myself out to the nursery to buy new things to plant. We also start seeds indoors, which I check on at least twice per day, because they are our little babies and I love them.
I’m so excited to do more outdoor workouts, too – and as you know, more workouts mean more protein, because you need fuel to power that workout! If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you know that I am borderline vegetarian, and I’m always looking for ways to get more plant based protein into my routine. And I’m not working out for my “bikini body,” I’m working out for long-term health and strength. This year is the first time ever I could do a pull up, and I’m excited to see where my goals take me next.
I’m particularly excited about a new line from Wonderful Pistachios – I am pretty sure I am their best customer on planet Earth – if you look closely at my photos of bowls and salads, there are almost always pistachios! And now, they are making Natural Raw version – the closest you can get from eating straight off the tree.
P.S.! This post is a paid partnership with Wonderful Pistachios! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about the partnership, but I only work with brands that I know and love and use in my home already.
Why is that exciting? You can use the Natural Raw pistachios in all kinds of cool projects, from snacking to baking sweets to – wait for it – making your own **pistachio nut milk**! I am so excited about this – I am not a dairy milk drinker, I have always loved the taste of alternative milks more. And pistachio milk is delicious!
I made my own, and then I paired it up with another love of mine, matcha. It’s a matcha match made in heaven, and it’s the prettiest green ever. I love it for breakfast, or as an afternoon pick-me-up. Here’s the recipe:
- For the pistachio milk:
- 1 cup shelled Wonderful Pistachios Natural Raw pistachios
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
- For the latte:
- 1 tsp. matcha powder
- 2 tbsp. boiling water
- 2 tsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
- tiny pinch of salt
- Soak pistachios in water overnight.
- The next morning, drain pistachios and add them to a blender with 4 cups water and the sweetener. Blend on high speed until liquid is light green and only tiny pieces of pistachios remain. Strain through a nut milk bag into a mason jar or other lidded, glass container. Store in the refrigerator.
- To make the matcha latte, gently heat 1 cup pistachio milk in a saucepan, and stir in 2 tsp. agave nectar. Sift matcha powder into a matcha bowl or a mug and top with 2 tbsp. boiling water. Whisk using a matcha whisk or regular whisk until matcha is dissolved. Carefully add pistachio milk to the mug. If you like to have froth on your lattes, you can use a milk frother to create some.